Monday, March 15, 2010

Exercises

Today Cody graduated from his physical therapy class. I started taking Cody to physical therapy because his pediatrician was worried about the shape of his head. I procrastinated taking him because I was scared they would tell me he needed a helmet. Not like anything is wrong with wearing one for a couple of months, but I was afraid people would look at him weird. So, our first time there they gave me a bunch of exercises to do with him and they measured his head. The measurements didn't qualify him for a helmet. I was so relieved so I promised myself I would do the exercises with him so he wouldn't need a helmet later. Well if you know me than you know that I did the exercises only once in a whole month. So, today was our third appointment and they re-evaluated him. I was shocked when they said he improved a lot and he was graduating from physical therapy. I didn't tell the doctor that I never did the exercises with him for fear he wouldn't let him graduate. I was so proud of Cody. I'm not saying never do what doctors tell you to do because I did stop putting him in his bouncer which I think helped a lot so he was able to sit up more on his own and start rolling and scooting around. So, I did do something they told me to do which was to stop using the bouncer.
I think as moms we get so use to doing what we want for our children, when maybe we need to let them explore more, but are afraid too. I will admit I used the bouncer as something that helped me so I didn't have to pay as much attention to him when I did dishes cause I knew he was safe. Now I stopped using it and Cody has grown so much. Any day now he will be crawling. And when he does I'm sure I will have many crazy experiences wishing he was still in his bouncer. Now I need to take another step and lower his mattress all the way down in his crib. I hate when he grows out of things. Next thing I know he's going to be asking me if he can go on a date.

1 comment:

  1. Glad he is doing better now! :) You're right...the not using the bouncer was probably all he needed--but no doctor is going to tell you to stop doing something like that...so they suggest doing "exercises" instead!
    Yes--there will be many times you wish he could still be strapped in that bouncer...but all the times you will remember will be when he is not in his bouncer!
    What a good mom Cody has! :)

    ReplyDelete